Back to list

CHURCH OF NOTRE-DAME DE SAINTE-CROIX

General description

It was built on the plans of the abbot Tournesac, and consecrated in June 1857.
The chapel is located in the district of Sainte Croix which is part of the oldest districts of the city of Le Mans. The present building replaces a first chapel; The latter was undoubtedly the chapel of a hospice founded by Saint Bertrand in the sixth century. It was probably in the tenth century that it was erected as a parish after the ruin of the hospice; This chapel then depended on the Abbey of Couture. The original chapel was destroyed in 1794. It is reborn from its ashes thanks to Basile Moreau who is entrusted in 1835, the congregation of the Brothers of St. Joseph. The Abbot Moreau is responsible for building several buildings on the grounds of the parish, whose vocation is to welcome this fledgling community, the Fathers of Holy Cross. In 1908, the church was disused and all the buildings of the abbey were assigned to the army. In 1931, it was returned to worship, after it was acquired by the Congregation, which had a strong growth in Canada.

CHURCH OF NOTRE-DAME DE SAINTE-CROIX

6, rue Notre-Dame

72000 LE MANS

Phone 02 43 81 15 57



CALENDAR

VIEW
ALL EVENTS
  Visuel R'HUNAUDIÈRES

R'HUNAUDIÈRES

R'HUNAUDIÈRES

11-06-2024

Read more
  Visuel Guided tour of the permanent collection in English

Guided tour of the permanent collection in English

Guided tour of the permanent collection in English

11-06-2024

Read more
  Visuel The Plantagenet City

The Plantagenet City

The Plantagenet City

12-06-2024

Read more
  Visuel Guided tour of the permanent collection in English

Guided tour of the permanent collection in English

Guided tour of the permanent collection in English

12-06-2024

Read more
  Visuel ARNAGE IN THE RACE

ARNAGE IN THE RACE

ARNAGE IN THE RACE

13-06-2024

Read more